The History Channel debuted the History Here App for iOS this week, a travel discovery app that uses your location and GPS to find historical points of interest and plot them on a map. You can click on the plotted locations and it will give you a history and some context of what happened there.
It’s perfect if you’re going traveling this summer and want an easy guide to find interesting historical locations wherever you’re going.
Here’s what it says about the app in the Apple app store:
HISTORY Here is an interactive guide to thousands of historic locations across the United States, brought to you by the HISTORY CHANNEL. The easy-to-use interface, photos, video and dynamic maps bring history to life anywhere in the country. Whether you’re on vacation or just running errands, the app makes it simple and fun to get the facts on the history hidden all around you, including amazing architecture, museums, battlefields, monuments, famous homes and much more!
***WE ARE ADDING MORE POINTS OF INTEREST ALL THE TIME. We love feedback — please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to suggest areas that need more coverage.
* Thousands of exclusive points of interest, written by the history experts at HISTORY CHANNEL.
* Select your current location with GPS or choose any location across the country.
* Customize your search to see historic points of interest—from right next door to 100 miles away.
* View images and stream HISTORY video directly within the app.
* Display historic locations in a zoomable, map-based view or in a scrolling list.
* Share the locations you find with friends via Facebook, Twitter and email.