Apple released the first iPad in April of 2010 and sold 3 million within 80 days.
A second generation iPad and a year and a half later and Apple still dominates the growing tablet market.
Here are some August 2011 statistics according to ComScore:
- The share of non-computer Internet traffic for the US was at 6.8 percent in August of 2011. The iPad generates 1/3 of that non-computer traffic
- 10 percent of tablet traffic occurs over mobile broadband
- The iPad dominates 97.2 percent of all tablet traffic in the U.S.
- 54.7 percent of all tablet owners were male and nearly 30 percent were 25-34 years old
- 45.9 percent of tablet owners belong to households earning more than $100K a year.
- Almost half of all tablet owners used their tablets to purchase something in August.
- 3 out of 5 tablet owners consume news on their tablets and used them to check social networks
- 70 percent of iPad use is in front of a TV
- 57 percent of iPad use is in bed