Outside Online has compiled a list of the top 25 colleges for students who want to maximize their time outdoors.
Being that Outside is one of the foremost publications on matters of outdoor adventure, a list from them is pretty much the gold standard. Not to mention that they created a scoring key that covered all the different ways a university could provide outdoor adventure opportunities for its students–namely, location and what all that location has to offer.
But the scoring key includes affordability, nearby ski resorts, mountains, rivers oceans, and of course the academic quality of the college.
Check it out on Outisde Online here, with a full explanation of how they picked these schools.
The list from Outside Online is below, with each link corresponding to an article written in Outside about the school and what it has to offer:
01. University of California, Berkeley
02. University of California, Los Angeles
03. Stanford University
04. University of California, San Diego
05. Cornell University
06. University of Arizona
07. Warren Wilson College
08. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
09. University of Vermont
10. University of Georgia
11. University of Wisconsin, Madison
12. University of California, Santa Cruz
13. Bowdoin College
14. California State University, Humboldt
15. University of Wyoming
16. Alaska Pacific University
17. Reed College
18. University of Oregon
19. University of Iowa
20. University of Hawaii, Manoa
21. University of Arkansas
22. Green Mountain College
23. University of Nevada, Reno
24. University of Alaska, Fairbanks
25. University of Idaho